A new MB doesn't always mean headaches ... OK, OK, I know, I know, let's take this #### pill. I got this new super/ultra/cool/powerful ________ Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3 MB. It's intel P35 based. I come from XP and I am an usual (not MMOG addicted), gamer. So, all of my data stood inside a SATA WD Raptor X 150G, including my OS, XP. I needed to move this XP install from the good old glorious, powerful, full-featured, performing _______ ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe Rev 2 to this new Gigabyte. I proceeded this way:
- Connected a new IDE disk to the IDE controller.
- Booted Ubuntu live and cloned the Raptor inside the new IDE HD (dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/hda bs=32256).
- Booted the old MB with the new IDE HD and made sure it worked perfectly and flawlessly.
- SYSPREP-PED it with sysprep.exe, found inside XP_CD\SUPPORT\TOOLS\Deploy.cab (I used these options, “MiniSetup” and “Pre-Activate”- get ready for product key).
- Switched the IDE HD from the old to the NEW MB.
- Booted it.
- After some MS XP basic questions, I got my old desktop.
- I then installed the new drivers.
All of this can seem daunting, a pain in the ass, but, seriously, it isn't. For me, everything went just fine but my SATA HDDs: they disappered!...Next arcticle is gonna show you how I managed to get my SATA HDDs working; I anticipate that I've the other SATA HDDs on "AHCI mode" from BIOS (for other reasons...soon I will tell why).