Everyone knows how to Jailbreak an iPhone!
Just a couple of notes on how I jailbroke my iPhone 4…
There are 2 types of Jailbreak:
“Tethered” sucks b/c you’ll have to keep the iPhone 4 connected to the Computer.
“Untethered” is the “right” form of Jailbreak, since it allows you to use your iPhone as normal.
So, whatever you do, make sure you follow an “Unthetered”-JB-method.
Before Jailbreaking the iPhone, save its SHSH Blobs!
With the SHSH Blobs you can create (craft) a customised “iPhone IPSW Firmware” & restart from scratch (in case anything goes wrong…).
- Download and Run iFaith (google it!).
- Save your iPhone’s SHSH BLOBS (by following iFaith’s wizards).
iPhone 4 Jailbreak Howto.
- Check your iPhone software version:
- IF iOS version = 6.1.3 THEN sorry, you’ll be luckier next time -- no JB for you :D
- IF iOS version <= 6.1.2 THEN proceed as follows:
- Download your SAME VERSION Firmware file From:
- Download RedSn0w 0.9.15b (google it!).
- Put the iPhone in DFU mode -- here’s how:
- Launch iTunes.
- Plug your iPhone to your computer via the USB cable.
- Turn off your iPhone.
- Hold the Power and Home button together for exactly 10 seconds.
- After 10 seconds:
- 5.1: Release the Power button AND Keep holding the home button…
- 5.2: …Until iTunes tells you it has detected your iPhone.
- Now Run RedSn0w.
- Click on Extras.
- Select IPSW.
- Browse for your iOS 6 firmware file you downloaded from http://www.idownloadblog.com/download/ .
RefSn0w should successfully identify your firmware.
- (still on Redsn0w) Click Back.
- Click on the Jailbreak Button.
You should see a dialogue box saying “preparing jailbreak data”, followed by a page with several options.
- Ensure that “Install SSH” is selected.
- Click Next to proceed with the Jailbreak process.
- Search for potential errors on Google until the JB process starts.
- After the JB process starts, go grab a sweet red apple and eat it!
Your iPhone will now get jailbroken!
After the Jailbreak process has finished (hopefully you were successful…!):
- Connect your iPhone to your Wireless NW.
- SSH to your iPhone with putty.
- Use root/alpine as Username/Password.
IF Cydia wasn’t automatically installed during/after the Jailbreak, you may manually do so thru SSH.
While connected to your iPhone 4 with SSH, type the following on the terminal:
wget -q -O /tmp/cyinstall.sh http://downloads.kr1sis.net/cyinstall.sh && chmod 755 /tmp/cyinstall.sh && /tmp/cyinstall.sh
Wait for the process to finish then REBOOT.
If all went well, your iPhone should be successfully Jailbroken and have the “Cydia [market]“-icon among your apps :)