Ubuntu Linux aims at being a good OS solution for the desktop. The fact that it aims doesn't necessarily means it is already...I heard 2008 will have more to say about this. Form me, I think it is good enough, and I enjoy using it everyday, yet sometimes I encounter "strange" & "correlated" errors that I haven't saw into a "more" commercial OS couterpart combo (XP+Office+Live Search in that case). And that's the great effort were I think Canonical is fully committed to: integration between "bazaar" software. My actual OS is an upgraded Feisty 7.04 -> Gutsy 7.10. I'm not saying everything went perfect the first time, but with some sanity, I tried to keep things working correctly as they were. And at 99% I made it behave just fine (without buying anything). A (bad) reminiscence of Feisty was a little sniffy guardian Beagle (dog). Beagle is an indexing tool that scans your HD for metadata and indexes it for faster searches (like Google Desktop Search). In Gutsy, Beagle was (reasonably) replaced by Tracker, another, perhaps more stable, indexing solution. The error I expected was related to a remnant of beagle that I forgot to remove; so, I had this process in memory, automatically booted everyday, that insanely tracked and Indexed every file inside my PC (maybe more than once). I ended up locked and with no space left (I have a WD 250Gb HD). My routine is made of daily emails, browsing (I never delete its cache), and I/O ( I always keep my recycle bin full), etc... well...ordinary stuff as everyone else, but not so much to fill a 250Gb HD with stuff (ex. my Home folder actually is almost 5 Gb). The (mad) beagle-related process, day after day, filled my home folder (and consequently my HDD), with tons of indexed CRAP. What it was, exactly, I simply ignore it. So recently I ended up having with a full (99.9%) /. I figured it after the other (open) programs started complaining,and popped strange errors, especially my email client, Evolution. The error message received from Evolution was stating: "Error while storing folder 'inbox' Summary and folder mismatch even after a sync". WTF??? So I started to digg and figure what the problem was. First thing:
- rm -r /home/andy/.beagle
...to free up some space. Next, Synaptic and (complete) removal of beagle and beagle-evolution. Then a fast close/open Send/Receive with Evolution: error message still there :( Some more research, some more infos: I had to close all Evolution processes, this way:
- evolution --force-shutdown
...from a terminal. Next thing: I cd to ".evolution" inside my home folder and searched for the main Inbox folder.
- cd .evolution/mail/local
There I found a file called Inbox.ibex.index; I renamed this file with something else, then restarted Evolution. Everything clean and fixed. Note: if you like me, never delete something, unless 100% sure, you can now safely rm the previously renamed file. Back to work, now :-P